By Shirley Samuels
- Draws seriously on ancient and cultural contexts in its attention of yank fiction
- Relates the fiction of the interval to conflicts approximately territory and sovereignty and to problems with gender, race, ethnicity and identity
- Covers diverse types of fiction, together with children’s literature, sketches, polemical items, ancient romances, Gothic novels and novels of exploration
- Considers either canonical and lesser-known authors, together with James Fennimore Cooper, Hannah Foster, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville and Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Treats missed themes, equivalent to the Western novel, technology and the radical, and American fiction in languages except English
Read or Download A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
Seminar paper from the 12 months 2004 within the topic English - Literature, Works, grade: 2,0, Johannes Gutenberg collage Mainz, path: Proseminar, language: English, summary: Kate Chopin, a feminine author and essayist, lived from 1850 to 1904. From 1894 onwards, she was once pushing her occupation to develop into a good authorised writer.
This can be a finished, in-depth examine of 1 of the main thought-provoking writers of the Vietnam conflict iteration. This quantity breaks clear of past readings of O'Brien's improvement as a trauma artist and an outspoken chronicler of the yankee involvement in Vietnam: its thematic, instead of chronological, strategy contextualizes O'Brien's paintings past the confines of battle literature.
It's always claimed that we all know ourselves and the area via narratives. during this booklet, Robert D. Newman portrays narrative engagement as a technique grounded in psychoanalytic concept to provide an explanation for how readers (or listeners or audience) have the capacity to interact with particular narratives and derive from them a private event.
Katherine Anne Porter Remembered is a suite of recollections and memoirs through contemporaries, buddies, and co-workers of Porter providing a revealing and intimate portrait of the elusive and complicated American author. From a fractured and vagabond girlhood in Texas, Porter led a wildly itinerant existence that took her via 5 marriages, innumerable amorous affairs, and houses in Colorado, long island, Paris, Mexico, Louisiana, California, and Maryland.
- Layer cake - the representation of London in Penelope Lively’s "City of the Mind" and Peter Ackroyd’s "London: The Biography"
- Neil Gaiman and Philosophy: Gods Gone Wild! (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
- Wallace Stevens and the Aesthetics of Abstraction
- "Something Dreadful and Grand": American Literature and The Irish-Jewish Unconscious
Extra resources for A Companion to American Fiction 1780 - 1865 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)