By Brian W. Shaffer
- Covers a variety of authors from Samuel Beckett to Salman Rushdie
- Provides readings of key novels, together with Graham Greene’s ‘Heart of the Matter’, Jean Rhys’s ‘Wide Sargasso Sea’ and Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘The continues to be of the Day’
- Considers specific subgenres, equivalent to the feminist novel and the postcolonial novel
- Discusses overarching cultural, political and literary traits, akin to display variations and the literary prize phenomenon
- Gives readers a feeling of the richness and variety of the unconventional in this interval and of the power with which it is still discussed
Read Online or Download A Companion to the British and Irish Novel 1945 - 2000 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Seminar paper from the 12 months 2004 within the topic English - Literature, Works, grade: 2,0, Johannes Gutenberg college Mainz, direction: Proseminar, language: English, summary: Kate Chopin, a feminine author and essayist, lived from 1850 to 1904. From 1894 onwards, she was once pushing her occupation to develop into a good accredited writer.
This can be a accomplished, in-depth research of 1 of the main thought-provoking writers of the Vietnam warfare iteration. This quantity breaks clear of prior readings of O'Brien's improvement as a trauma artist and an outspoken chronicler of the yank involvement in Vietnam: its thematic, instead of chronological, process contextualizes O'Brien's paintings past the confines of warfare literature.
It is usually claimed that we all know ourselves and the area via narratives. during this publication, Robert D. Newman portrays narrative engagement as a procedure grounded in psychoanalytic conception to give an explanation for how readers (or listeners or audience) have the capacity to have interaction with particular narratives and derive from them a private adventure.
Katherine Anne Porter Remembered is a suite of recollections and memoirs by way of contemporaries, pals, and colleagues of Porter providing a revealing and intimate portrait of the elusive and intricate American author. From a fractured and vagabond girlhood in Texas, Porter led a wildly itinerant existence that took her via 5 marriages, innumerable amorous affairs, and houses in Colorado, ny, Paris, Mexico, Louisiana, California, and Maryland.
- Hemingway, Style, and the Art of Emotion
- Gender and Utopia in the Eighteenth Century: Essays in English and French Utopian Writing
- Literary Crossroads: An International Exploration of Women, Gender, and Otherhood
- The Poetry Toolkit: For Readers and Writers
- Studies of a Biographer
Extra info for A Companion to the British and Irish Novel 1945 - 2000 (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)